MKG-newThe Home Building Act 1989 gives protection to home owners after their houses are built.

Home building refers to anything from building a new home down to renovation of a kitchen or installation of a pool.

Section 18B of the Home Building Act incorporates into legislation warranties for all residential work.  The builder warrants that the work will be carried out in a proper and workmanlike manner, all materials will be good and suitable to purpose, building work will comply with any laws, the work will be done with due diligence, and must be fit for occupation.

If these warranties are not complied with then the builder can be sued for breach of the contract.

The first point of call, for those with complaints, is the Consumer Trader & Tendency Tribunal.  The Consumer Trader & Tenancy Tribunal can hear and determine matters up to the value of $500,000.

Disputes lodged with the Consumer Trader & Tenancy Tribunal generally concern building works not carried out as agreed, building work that is defective, dispute about insurance or non-payment.

Applications must be lodged within three years or within six years for structural defects.

If you should have any issues in respect to home building disputes, please ensure that you contact us at Everingham Solomons because Helping You is Our Business.

Click here for more information on Mark Grady.