Headshot of Suzanne Hindmarsh - Conveyancer at Everingham Solomons TamworthAfter your funeral and your family has had time to process the loss of a loved one, it is necessary for the executor to deal with the deceased’s assets and liabilities.

As land is involved and a Will was made, Probate will need to be obtained. This is a document issued by the Supreme Court acknowledging the validity of the deceased’s Will and authorizes the executor/s to administer the Estate.

If a Will was not left, the next of kin of the deceased will need to apply for Letters of Administration. This is a document issued by the Supreme Court authorizing the next of kin (known as the “Administrator”) to administer the Estate according to intestacy rules.

The executor needs to contact the Bank to advise of the death and provide certified copies of the Death Certificate and Probate in due course.

There are three ways you can hold land in NSW and transfer the land.

They are:-

Sole Owner

The deceased holds land only in their name. The land will be dealt with as part of the deceased’s Estate. Subject to the deceased’s Will, the land may be sold or left to a beneficiary.  If left to a beneficiary, a new loan needs to be prepared. Written consent from the Bank needs to be obtained prior to the land being transmitted to the beneficiary. A Transmission Application form is required to be lodged with NSW Land Registry Services through the electronic conveyancing platform called PEXA.

Joint tenant

The deceased and another person holds the land as joint tenants. This is the most common way married or de facto couples own land. Whilst each person holds an individual interest in the land, when one person dies, the legal concept of “survivorship” takes place. That is, the interest of the deceased person will automatically pass to the surviving joint tenant. The land does not form part of the deceased’s Estate. The surviving joint tenant needs to speak to the Bank about continuing on the mortgage payments and the Bank needs to provide their consent prior to the lodgement of a Notice of Death form to NSW Land Registry Services by PEXA.

Tenants in Common

The deceased and another person are co-owners of the same land holding as tenants in common in equal shares or hold an unequal share, for example 80/20. When a person dies their individual share in the land does not automatically pass to the other surviving owners. Instead, the deceased person’s share in the land will form part of their Estate and be distributed in accordance to their Will or if they did not leave a Will, by the laws of intestacy. If the land is not to be sold but instead to be transmitted to a beneficiary, the beneficiary needs to prepare new mortgage documents. A Bank’s written consent needs to be provided prior to lodgement of Transmission application to NSW Land Registry Services by PEXA.

At Everingham Solomons, we have the expertise to assist you with all legal matters regarding your land, because Helping You is Our Business.

Click here for more information on Suzanne Hindmarsh.