Winter is in the rear-view mirror, the scent of Spring is in the air and Summer is approaching fast. It’s the perfect time to do the odd jobs around the house and tend to those overgrown yards. However, in order for your yard to look schmick you might be required to load up the trailer and head to the tip.
This is a timely reminder for all, that penalties for uncovered, unstable and overhanging loads can be quite harsh.
Fines for these offences will see you obtain 3 demerit points and cop a fine of $457.00 per offence.
That’s quite an expensive rubbish run!
So how can you avoid being caught for these offences?
Well there are specific considerations and rules to follow when loading up your trailer. These include ensuring that:
1. All loads are covered to secure and contain all materials within the trailer.
2. All loads are restrained using an appropriate restraint method.
3. All loads are loaded in a manner which does not make the trailer unstable or unsafe.
4. A load is not to be more than 150mm wider than the trailer or be more than 2.5m overall width, whichever is less.
5. Loads that project more than 1.2m behind a trailer have a red ﬂag attached to the end of the load. This ﬂag must be at least 300mm square and clearly visible.
Demerit points and fines can also apply for the following:
1. Exceeding towing capacity;
2. Not removing items that have fallen out of a vehicle/ trailer; and
3. Failing to attach a trailer to your vehicle correctly.
So if you are looking to be a weekend warrior, tip voucher in hand, cover up and secure those loads!
If you have lost your licence for accruing too many demerit points contact Everingham Solomons because Helping You is Our Business.
Click here for more information on Sarah Rayner.