NKW-booksI know it’s hard to accept but if you think “I’m young and healthy, I’ll worry about estate planning when I’m old and sick”, you are WRONG!

You drive a car, travel overseas, and you are not permanently encased in balls of cotton wool which means it is not just granny that needs to be thinking about protecting her interests.

If you want a say in how your assets are divided after your death, you need a Will. If you don’t have one, the succession legislation will make that decision for you.

If you want to nominate the person/s who will manage your financial and legal affairs should you get stranded overseas or otherwise require assistance, you need a Power of Attorney.

If you want to nominate the person/s who will make health and lifestyle decisions, such as where you live and what medical treatment you receive, in the event that you cannot make those decisions for yourself, you need an Appointment of Enduring Guardian.

If you are mentally incapacitated, for example, suffering from paranoid delusions, or in a coma, and you don’t have a Power of Attorney or Appointment of Enduring Guardian, the Tribunal will appoint someone to assume that role.

You can only make a Will, Power of Attorney and Appointment of Enduring Guardian while you have capacity to understand the nature and effect of the document, so the time is now. Don’t wait until it is too late.

The friendly solicitors at Everingham Solomons have the knowledge and experience to assist you with all of your estate planning needs because Helping You is Our Business.

Click here for more information on Natasha Wood.